It has been a crazy couple of years for all of us! Everyone is missing someone and missing out on something. We are all trying to maintain some sanity and keep positive – gee it’s hard sometimes. We have been asking ourselves, what wopuld Nonna do? The answer is always around finding and giving comfort from delicious food. A squishy amaretti and a short black is exactly what we all need to pick us up right now. Enjoy this simple and delicious recipe and stay safe.
2 large egg whites
190g almond meal
150g caster sugar
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons icing sugar
3 tablespoons extra caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees (fan forced), line baking tray with baking paper
2. Beat egg whites on medium speed until they form a stiff peak
3. Place almond meal, caster sugar and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Gently fold in the beaten egg whites and then the almond extract.
4. Keep stirring until you have a smooth paste.
5. Place the icing sugar and extra caster sugar onto two separate plates
6. Roll the mixture into 16 balls (approx 2-3 cm in diameter), roll each ball first into the caster sugar and then the icing sugar before placing them onto the tray. Allow at least 3 cm between each biscuit, as they do tend to spread a little in the oven.
7. Bake for 16-17 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before placing them onto a cooling rack.
8. Make yourself an espresso and enjoy!