Granita is a classic Calabrian drink, traditionally it is served for family get togethers and special occasions.
The thick texture makes a wonderful creamy granita, or it can be served as a refreshing drink with water and lots of ice.
Eat Well & Live Local, With Love
Freezer Time: 3 hours (30 minute intervals)
– 100 g caster sugar
– 1 kg strawberries (washed, hulled and halved) + extra garnish if you wish
– juice of 2 limes
– mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
Now to the fun part:
– Place the sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan with 100ml water over low heat until caster sugar has dissolved
– Place the strawberries, lime juice and cooled sugar syrup in a blender
– Puree until smooth
– Strain the liquid to remove the strawberry seeds
– Pour into a large, shallow container
– Cover & place in the Freezer for 30 minutes
– Remove from freezer and break up any crystals that have formed, using a fork.
– Repeat this every 30 minutes for 3 hours
Serve spooned into glasses, garnished with extra strawberries or mint leaves.